Sunday, January 23, 2011

Somewhere over the rainbow

On November 1, 2010, I posted the following note and song on Mark's facebook fan page:

I listened to this song on my way to work and have had it in my head all day long. Not only is it beautiful and my favorite version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but it also reminds me of Mark since Eva Cassidy died of Melanoma Skin Cancer at the age of 33. I keep praying that someday Mark will wake up and the cancer clouds will be far behind him!



When I said "I keep praying that someday Mark will wake up and the cancer clouds will be far behind him," I didn't mean anything about him dying. I wouldn't have even let myself think about that before. But as I just re-read my note, I realize now that my wish for him in November is actually coming true. Mark will very soon be waking up and the cancer clouds will be far behind him. That makes me very happy for him, but very sad for me.

2 comments:

Linda Wilson said...

Emily, I, too, love this version of Over the Rainbow. I have 2 of Eva Cassidy's CDs. I didn't know anyone else who'd even heard of her. Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that you had. I hope and pray that you all are finding the strength you need to get through this incredibly difficult time.

Anonymous said...

Emily, what a beautiful way to honor Mark. Your words, the video memorial and music are an amazing tribute to the kind of man Mark was. He now rests peacefully with the Lord and will be smiling down upon you from above, somewhere over the rainbow.