Friday, January 21, 2011

Going to hospice today

The nurse practitioner just came to let us know that transportation has been scheduled to take Mark to Hospice of North Central Ohio today at 2:00 p.m. We are glad that things are actually moving and are just anxious to get him to a place where he is more comfortable. Most of all, we are excited to bring his dog there to see him. The dog he didn't want, the dog that was supposed to be mine and the dog that was by his side for the entire six years of his battle.

Mark is very alert today and responds to all of his visitors. I just watched him say goodbye to one of his best friends, a friend that didn't miss one of Mark's IL2 clinical trial treatments in 2005. As Mark hugged him, and caressed his face, I am very confident Mark knew he was saying goodbye to him forever.

We've been showing him pictures and are making sure someone is always holding his hand. Today is my mom and Mark's 15th Wedding Anniversary. She reads the anniversary card she bought for him out loud and each time, he reaches for her head and gives her a kiss.

Yesterday, he let me cry on his shoulder and patted my head and back with his good arm, trying to comfort me. It's amazing that even now, he is still being the strong and brave one. Through this entire battle, he has always tried to protect me, sugar coating all the bad scans and the even worse statistics. I'm sure if he could talk, he would find a way to sugar coat the dying process for me as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark was the one who always took care of my Granparents. He's always been a good, caring person and it is so unfair.
Tricia

Faith said...

Take in and hold on to each moment you have with Mark during his stay at Hospice. The peace that comes over one during this time is amazing. My thoughts and prayers are with now..with you..with your family and especially Mark.

Jami Kinton said...

I can't even imagine what your family is going through. After seeing a link through a friend's facebook page, I found your blog and bawled reading through all of your posts. My name is Jami Kinton and I'm a reporter at the News Journal. I knew Mark through work and don't think I ever saw him without a smile and something pleasant to say. Please tell him we were just talking about him in the newsroom yesterday. One of my coworkers Lou Whitmire got an update on Mark at a meeting and shared it with us. We were ALL just completely crushed to hear how his situation has progressed. We would like to send him a card and wondered how we could do so.

I'm so terribly sorry to know where things seem to be headed. I am praying very hard for all of you to find comfort in such a difficult time.

With love,

Jami Kinton

Unknown said...

Emily,

Brigitte and I spoke today at work and we both are pretty emotional when talking about him. We know this is hard for you and your mom and respect your postings and your feelings. Never apologize for how you feel. Thank you for keeping us posted as you are our only source of information. Please tell Mark we care. The newsroom and radio gang miss him much.

Jubilee said...

I know I'm a day late but want to wish Martha and Mark HAPPY ANNIVERSAY!

Thank you Emily for keeping everyone current on Mark's condition. We appreciate it more than you know.

Please let Mark know I'm keeping an eye on him virtually.

Julie Dowds Thompson

Tim Guenther said...

Emily, Martha, and Mark!

Much love and good wishes for peace at last from Mark's old High School Concert Choir folder partner! Have prayed through this entire battle for peace for all of you! Hang in there, old friend! Belated Happy Anniversary, Mark & Martha!
Tim